Conference "From Ibrahim ibn Yakub to 6 Anielewicz Street"
International Conference to Mark the Opening of the Core Exhibition of POLIN Museum of the History of Polish Jews, 11-14 May 2015
The conference introduced the POLIN Museum's Core Exhibition to the scholarly public and reviewed the present state of knowledge on the history of Jews in the Polish lands.
The Core Exhibition was created over the course of several years by a team of renowned scholars from Poland and beyond under the direction of Prof. Barbara Kirshenblatt-Gimblett from New York University, and with Prof. Antony Polonsky’s and Prof. Marcin Wodziński’s contributions as Chief Historians. [Full list of the Academic Team below]
Established experts from around the world had the opportunity to discuss its content. The historical narrative of the Core Exhibition was thus a point of departure for new questions and directions of research on the rich legacy of Polish Jews.
The conference evaluated the achievements of the last thirty years in the study of Polish-Jewish history and culture and at the same time highlighted the gaps in historiography. Participants discussed also the role which the Museum and the Jewish Historical Institute could play in furthering research and how to make this research accessible to a broad public both in Poland and internationally.
Languages: Polish and English (simultaneous translation)
Organizers: POLIN Museum of the History of Polish Jews, Emanuel Ringelblum Jewish Historical Institute
- Prof. Antony Polonsky – President (Brandeis University)
- Prof. Israel Bartal (Hebrew University)
- Prof. Daniel Blatman (Hebrew University)
- Prof. Michał Galas (Jagiellonian University)
- Dr. François Guesnet (University College London)
- Prof. Gershon Hundert (McGill University, Montreal)
- Prof. Samuel Kassow (Trinity College, Hartford, Connecticut)
- Dr. hab. Anna Michałowska-Mycielska (University of Warsaw)
- Dr. Victoria Mochalova (Moscow Center for University Teaching of Jewish Civilization)
- Shana Penn (Taube Foundation for Jewish Life & Culture)
- Prof. Paweł Śpiewak (Jewish Historical Institute / University of Warsaw)
- Dr. Hanna Węgrzynek (POLIN Museum of the History of Polish Jews)
- Prof. Andrzej Żbikowski (Jewish Historical Institute / University of Warsaw)
Executive Committee: Antony Polonsky, Hanna Węgrzynek, Andrzej Żbikowski
- POLIN Museum, Warsaw, 6 Anielewicza St. (Audytorium)
- Jewish Historical Institute, Warsaw, ul. Tłomackie 3
For organizational matters please contact: Joanna Andrysiak (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The Core Exhibition Academic Team (2006-2014) :
- Prof. Barbara Kirshenblatt-Gimblett
- Dr. Helena Datner, Prof. Barbara Engelking, Prof. Samuel D. Kassow, Dr. Hab. Igor Kąkolewski, Prof. Stanisław Krajewski, Prof. Jacek Leociak, Prof. Adam Teller, Prof. Marcin Wodziński, Prof. Hanna Zaremska
- Prof. David Assaf, Dr. Havi Dreifuss, Dr. Jakub Petelewicz, Prof. Michael Steinlauf
- Prof. Antony Polonsky – Chief Historian
- Prof. Marcin Wodziński – Chief Historian
The Core Exhibition Curatorial Team (2006-2014) :
Magdalena Dopieralska, Maria Ferenc, Joanna Fikus, Kalina Gawlas, Maciej Gugała, Justyna Koszarska-Szulc, Agata Kurek, Justyna Majewska, Michał Majewski, Ewa Małkowska-Bieniek, Anna Mizera, Judyta Pawlak, Dr. Renata Piątkowska, Olga Pieńkowska, Kamila Radecka-Mikulicz, Agnieszka Reszka, Zuzanna Schnepf-Kołacz, Dr. Małgorzata Stolarska-Fronia, Dr. Tamara Sztyma, Dr. Artur Tanikowski, Franciszek Zakrzewski
The conference is organized within the Global Education Outreach Program.
The conference was made possible thanks to the support of the Taube Foundation for Jewish Life & Culture, the William K. Bowes, Jr. Foundation, and the Association of the Jewish Historical Institute of Poland.