Polish-Israeli Youth Exchange 2019
Polish-Israeli Youth Exchange (PIYE) is the longest running educational program of POLIN Museum and the Association of the Jewish Historical Institute of Poland. It is addressed to young Poles and Israelis. This year, the 14th edition of the program will take place.
Applications for the PIYE for Poles is closed. We are waiting for the applications from Israelis until 5 May (Sunday)
PIYE offers both Polish and Israeli participants an opportunity to enter into a Polish-Jewish dialogue and to discuss the topic of inter-culturalism. The activities planned for the program are aimed to motivate young people to cooperate and to form partnerships so that in the future they are able to realize joint projects devoted to preserving and popularizing the heritage of Polish Jews.
Who is PIYE 2019 addressed to?
We encourage young people (aged 20 - 35) from Poland and Israel to apply for the program - educators, students, activists involved in the issues such as: inter-culturalism, history of Polish-Jewish relations, Polish-Jewish dialogue. We also invite people who are active in the NGOs or in cultural or educational institutions, people who have ideas for projects focused on the intercultural or Polish-Jewish topics, people who want to be active and thus contribute to dialogue, social activism and changes in attitudes in both countries.
We wait for applications from Israelis until May 5. The number of places is limited. We have 15 places for participants from Poland and 15 places for participants from Israel.
Program’s formula and goals
The program—realized both in Poland and in Israel—allows its participants to familiarize with each other’s perspectives and with good practices used in both countries. It provides an opportunity to learn from experiences of others and to confront their own view on history and contemporary relations between Poles and Jews and on the challenges that the two nations face today. The program includes classes in developing skills of implementing projects, international cooperation, fundraising from institutions and private donors, and meetings with representatives of social-educational organizations in operation in Poland and Israel. The program’s premise is to seek answers together and to come up with new ideas for intercultural projects.
Dates of PIYE 2019
- 9-13 July 2019 – 1st part of the program to take place in Poland
- 23-27 September 2019 – 2nd part of the program to take place in Israel
The participants are obliged to attend both parts of the program.
What is the program really about?
The PIYE program consists of two parts: one taking place in Poland, the second one in Israel. Both last five working days. In Warsaw, the participants take part in workshops, city tours, as well as meetings with representatives of organizations and institutions dealing with multiculturalism and the Polish-Jewish dialogue. The second part of the program will also involve workshops, lectures, study tours, meetings with experts, discussion panels and guided tours. The schedule for the program’s second part—to take place in Israel—will be announced after the Polish leg is over so that we can respond better to the participants’ needs and expectations.
Cost of participating in the program
The organizer covers the cost of accommodation and catering, and up to 700 PLN refund for air travel. We do not refund the cost of travelling within the Polish borders. The participants are also responsible for the cost of insurance.
Schedule of the recruitment process for candidates from Poland:
- 1 - 24 April - I stage of the recruitment process – filling in the application form available here >>
- 30 April – information on being shortlisted to the II stage of the recruitment process and invitation for an interview.
- 8-9 May - II stage of the recruitment process – interviews held at POLIN Museum.
- 15 May – information on who has been accepted to the program.
Schedule of the recruitment process for candidates from Israel:
- 1 April - 5 May - I stage of the recruitment process - filling in the application form available here >>
- 7 May – information on being shortlisted to the II stage of the recruitment process and invitation for an interview.
- 12 - 26 May – II stage of the recruitment process – interviews held in Tel Aviv at a location indicated by the Organizer.
- 27 May - information on who has been accepted to the program.
Who is eligible for the program?
We are looking for young people who:
- have an idea for a project/projects dedicated to the topic of inter-culturalism or Polish-Jewish relations;
- are interested in inter-culturalism and in the history of Polish-Jewish relations;
- have gained experience - both as participants and organizers - in realizing projects on the topic of inter-culturalism or Polish-Jewish relations;
- are fluent English speakers.
The recruitment commission will qualify a maximum of 15 participants from Poland and 15 from Israel (total of 30 people). The commission will review the above-mentioned requirements on the basis of submitted application forms, as well as the skills to be reviewed in the course of the interviews, such as: being motivated, interpersonal skills, and any other skills (e.g. originality in thinking and in action, creativity in approaching the subject of inter-culturalism).
The program is realized by POLIN Museum of the History of Polish Jews and the Association of the Jewish Historical Institute of Poland, thanks to the financial support from the Museum donors –Tomek Ulatowski and Ygal Ozechov